A reader asked me last week if I was using Beautycounter exclusively…and to her surprise….I am not (Full disclosure, I’m pretty close but we will get to that later in the post). Her response, “Oh I’m so glad to hear that because the thought of switching ALL my products to a SAFER SKINCARE LINE is super overwhelming!” And I couldn’t agree more. I’ve always approached the clean beauty movement and this process of bringing safer products into our household with a “progress over perfection” mindset, that every little bit lessens my family’s toxic load, and I’ll never get it perfect (I may have just eaten my lunch out of Tupperware)…so let’s not set ourselves up to fail, right? B U T I do believe little changes MAJORLY ADD UP in a positive manner over time. I was inspired to write this post because of not only the reader’s question above, but also…there’s some NOISE right now surrounding the beauty industry….like a big LOUD NOISE… and while I probably should, I don’t talk about this side of Beautycounter all that much but rather stick to how incredible the products have been for my skin specifically all while having the huge BONUS of being S A F E; however, with all the buzz around beauty these days…I couldn’t help but share some eye opening articles, features, documentaries etc. As a mother of two young daughters, this quote in particular from THIS ARTICLE really resonated with me, “I want my daughter growing up in a state where I don’t have to be an expert toxicologist to know the soaps, face creams and toothpastes that are safe for her to use,” said Assembly Member Muratsuchi. “That is why I introduced A.B. 2762 – to get the most toxic chemicals out of the products we use on a daily basis.”
Please know this post is not intended to overwhelm you or suggest you need to toss every damn product in your bathroom and home in the trash. But if you’re like me, and have concerns about the products you’ve been using and would like to take steps in a safer direction, for yourself and your family, I’d like to walk you through my journey and how I did…and still do…work towards a cleaner household. It doesn’t happen overnight unless you do indeed pull a mega purge and start from square one in one fell swoop. Which damn mama…if you take on that task…mad kudos to Y O U!
Ok so back to the reader’s question above…am I 100% clean beauty and/or Beautycounter….as much as I’d like to say Y E S, I’m not–Y E T.….I’d say about 80% of the products I put on my skin are clean. I have areas of improvement in the Hair Care and Lip arena for sure. It’s funny when I first became a Beautycounter consultant after I used and loved the products during my pregnancy, I found myself answering many questions as to W H Y it’s important to switch to a SAFER SKINCARE LINE and now, those questions are few and far between…..consumers are savvy, we know we DON’T want to put chemicals (linked to health harm) on our bodies, and we want to TRUST that the products we are using are not only effective but S A F E. I’ve witnessed Beautycounter make some mega strides in the industry and pave the way……I’m both proud and excited to be a part of this movement.
But back to WHERE DO I START? And again, this was M Y approach…you do you, boo…but in the event you’re looking for a little guidance….here goes it…..maybe tackle one of these a month. Or as you finish products, look to this list to replenish.
The Clean Beauty Movement
2. Now mind you, I was pregnant so I was in need of SAFE skincare STAT, so I opted to start with a fresh slate….Countertime would be a great place to start if you’re looking for bomb anti aging skin care. And BONUS, you can get a FULL SIZE EYE CREAM for free when you purchase a regimen or collection.
3. Next I figured I’d tackle my FOUNDATION as it was an everyday product that stayed put on my face throughout the day and so it would probbbbably be a good idea to snag a SAFER product than what I was using at the time…and truth be told….still do on occasion when I need more coverage…like I said…progress over perfection. Also think about LIPS–super easy switch….you ingest what you put on your lips….this is where I ask you to do as I say, not as I (sometimes) do….aka…damnit I still can’t quit my Laura Mercier on occasion. But my ride or die is BC PEONY GLOSS.
4. The K I D S. This actually ties for #1. This one was a no brainer to fully revamp and start from square one…..Body Wash, Body Lotion, and Shampoo and Conditioner. Easy trade….and put my mind at E A S E that I knew THESE HARMFUL INGREDIENTS weren’t in my kiddos’ products. Also don’t forget about SUNSCREEN…easy switch that’s SAFER for the whole family….I use this on Calvin, too!
5. Deodorant. It took me some major convincing to get rid of…dare I say…SECRET (gasp!)…but I did and I haven’t looked back.
6. Toothpaste. This line was introduced to me by Beautycounter. I love it.
7. Household Products. This is one I’m currently making the switch and so far so good. The brand I’m loving for hand, dish, laundry, this BOMB stain remover, countertops is PURACY. This was tough for me and I’d be lying if I said I still didn’t spray this on the countertops from time to time because it smells SO DAMN GOOD.
8. Hair Care. A L E R T…I am still a work in progress regarding hair. I still love my tried and true (and not clean) POMADE–legit used since I cut my hair in 2012, so that’s a whopping 8 years of lovely toxins that have seeped into my brain…awesome–gotta get that under control, my Davine’s Shampoo, Conditioner, etc…but, in the spirit of continuing on this journey to a SAFER household, I have been using the Beautycounter Shampoo, Conditioner, and Hair Oil and a week in….so far so good.
Where I still need to IMPROVE. I figured I’d write this down to let y’all know that three years in and I still slip up, have areas of improvement, but take comfort in knowing that I have MAJORLY lessened our toxic load since starting Beautycounter in April 2017. Haircare as I mentioned…I’m working on it…and researching what’s best out there…TBD. Lips..I use Beautycounter gloss 70% of the time, but damnit if I still don’t love THIS. Eyes–I LOVE THESE CREAM SHADOWS….probs shouldn’t, but I do. PERFUMES….my everyday Ambre Blends are natural and a wonderful scent, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t spritz this On from time to time. I mean we could go down a mega rabbit hole…I still use Tupperware for leftovers, I drink out of a plastic Starbucks cup…but I have switched my straws so see, all about baby steps in the right direction. Just like making a $1 donation to a charitable cause…it ALL DOES ADD UP.
And while we’re on the subject of skincare, as if this post wasn’t long winded enough….I wanted to have a reference point for y’all to see which Beautycounter Skincare Lines are best for YOUR skin type…Also, it’s a perfect time to take advantage of a Regimen or a Collection as you’ll receive a FULL SIZE free gift…B O O M.
Anti Aging: Countertime, I’d add on a side of Resurfacing Peel..been using since May of 2019 and I seriously cannot say enough incredible things about what it has done for the texture of my skin and softening my Lines.
ACNE Prone and Oily Skin: Countercontrol–don’t forget about your teens!
Normal Skin: Countermatch…I’ve been using this during the day to switch things up a bit and man I forgot how much I love this line…it’s just universally G O O D for your mug.
Eczema & Rosacea: Cleansing Balm, side of Countermatch Regimen.
Alright, gang, I’d say this laundry list is a pretty solid place to start! If you have any additional questions or need further guidance, please feel free to email me at [email protected] Also, if you’re looking to hear it from the horse’s mouth…and not my own…..peruse EWG.ORG…it’s how I know just how S A F E my products are! If you made it to the end of this post…cheers…patience of a saint…make it a good one!
What do you think of the clean beauty movement? Let me know in a comment below!